General information: First Jewish presence: 18th century; peak Jewish population: 71 in 1843; Jewish population in 1933: 39
Summary: In 1852, the Jews of Niederwarnbach, Rodenbach, Oberdreis and Lautzert were affiliated with the Jewish community of Puderbach. The community and its affiliates, however, belonged to the larger Dierdorf community until 1911, when Puderbach was recognized as an independent Jewish community. Initially, Puderbach Jews attended services in Dierdorf. By 1856, they had established two prayer rooms, one of which was located at 12, Steimeler Strasse and housed a mikveh. Finally, in 1911, the community inaugurated a synagogue on Barentoner Strasse. Puderbach was also home to a Jewish cemetery, consecrated in the latter half of the 19th century. Until the mid-19th century, the community employed a teacher of religion who also performed the duties of chazzan and shochet. Later, teachers from other communities instructed Puderbach’s Jewish schoolchildren in religion. In 1933, 39 Jews lived in Puderbach; Jews from Urbach (26) and Steimel (16) were affiliated with the community. Five years later, on Pogrom Night, the synagogue was burned to the ground; one Torah scroll was rescued from the blaze. The ruins were cleared one week later, after which the site was sold. Twelve local Jews emigrated, 29 relocated within Germany and eight, Puderbach’s last, were deported to the East in 1942. At least 13 Puderbach Jews and two from nearby Steimel perished in the Shoah. In 1979, two memorial plaques were unveiled in Puderbach: one at the cemetery, the other at a local church.
Author / Sources: Nurit Borut
Sources: AJ, JUP