General information: First Jewish presence: 1656; peak Jewish population: 251 in 1849; Jewish population in 1933: 62
Summary: The Jewish community of Randegg employed rabbis throughout most of its existence. Randegg’s yeshiva, founded in the mid-18th century, earned regional renown. In 1810, the community decided to replace its 17th-century synagogue with a new house of worship near Hauptstrasse; the new synagogue housed a library, a schoolroom and quarters for a teacher who also served as shochet and chazzan. Randegg’s cemetery, consecrated in the 17th century, was located at Gewann Floezler. In 1933, three Jewish schoolchildren studied religion in Randegg. A chevra kadisha, a women’s association and a charity association were active in the town. All Jewish-owned businesses had closed by 1938. On Pogrom Night, an SS commando placed the mayor under house arrest before blowing up the synagogue; the explosion destroyed the building, its contents (including approximately ten Torah scrolls) and the adjacent rabbinate building. The mayor resigned in protest. Thirty local Jews emigrated, nine relocated within Germany and five died in Randegg. The remaining 17 Jews, together with 11 from Villingen (an affiliated community), were deported to Gurs on October 22, 1940. At least 42 Jews originally from Randegg perished in the Shoah. In 1968, a memorial stone was unveiled at the former synagogue site.
Photo: Jewish men, one of whom is probably the cantor, posing for a photograph inside the synagogue of Randegg. Courtesy of: City Archive of Randegg.
Author / Sources: Heike Zaun Goshen
Sources: AH, AJ, EJL, HU, PK BW
Located in: baden-wuerttemberg