Rodheim von der Hoehe

General information: First Jewish presence: 1640; peak Jewish population: 91 in 1885; Jewish population in 1933: 51
Summary: Jews from Ober-Erlenbach, Koeppern, Ober-Rosbach, Petterweil, Holzhausen (present-day Burgholzhausen) and Nieder-Eschbach were affiliated with the Jewish community of Rodheim von der Hoehe. In 1863, the community replaced its prayer hall (located in a private house and established in approximately 1826) with a synagogue at 14 Wethgasse. Burials were conducted in Burgholzhausen, but the community was able to employ a teacher of religion—he also performed the duties of chazzan and shochet—and maintain a mikveh. Six schoolchildren received religious instruction from a teacher from Friedberg in 1931/32. A chazzan/shochet served the community, and a Jewish women’s association conducted welfare work. The synagogue was burned down on Pogrom Night. Jews were physically attacked, and Jewish-owned homes were ransacked. By 1939, 35 Rodheim Jews had emigrated while the others had relocated within Germany. Only one Jewish woman—she was married to a Christian—remained in the town. Three Jews from Ober-Erlenbach were deported to Poland in 1942. At least 31 Rodheim Jews perished in the Shoah. The synagogue ruins were torn down in 1946. A memorial stone was later unveiled at the site, as was a commemorative plaque in 1988. The Burgholzhausen cemetery was desecrated in 1960 and again in 1970.
Author / Sources: Heidemarie Wawrzyn
Located in: hesse