General information: First Jewish presence: Middle Ages; peak Jewish population: 421 in 1845 (18.5% of the total population); Jewish population in 1933: unknown
Summary: Although individual Jews lived in Roedelheim during the Middle Ages, it was not until the mid-17th century that a permanent Jewish presence was established there. Roedelheim was incorporated into the city of Frankfurt am Main in 1910, but its Jewish community retained its independence. This Jewish community established a synagogue in 1680 (closed in 1700), another synagogue in 1730 and, in 1838, another, larger synagogue (108 seats for men, 58 for women) whose building also housed a schoolroom and a teacher’s apartment. Local Jews also established an elementary school in 1828, a new cemetery in 1854 (within the grounds of the general cemetery) and a small hospital in 1874. The old Jewish cemetery, consecrated in or around the year 1700, was enlarged in 1845. In 1927, 113 Jews lived in Roedelheim. A chevra kadisha, a society for caring for the sick, a men’s choir and a “friends of the Sabbath” association were active in the community. Roedelheim’s Jewish teacher was deported to Poland in 1938. On Pogrom Night, the synagogue’s interior was destroyed, one year after which, in November 1939, the building was forcibly sold to a private citizen who converted the site into a warehouse for cars. The building was destroyed during an air raid in March 1944. Most Roedelheim Jews moved to Frankfurt; two committed suicide. The remaining Jews were moved into “Jews’ houses” and deported, together with the Jews of Frankfurt, during the years 1941 to 1943. The cemetery, sold to the Frankfurt municipality in 1942, was cleared in 1943; the old cemetery, too, was cleared by the Nazis. At least 15 Roedelheim Jews perished in the Shoah. The synagogue building was later renovated and converted into a combined residential and commercial property; in 1979, a memorial was unveiled there. The two cemeteries are under the care of the Frankfurt municipality, and the older cemetery, now a protected historical site, contains two memorial plaques.
Author / Sources: Nurit Borut
Sources: AJ, EJL, PK-HNF
Located in: hesse