General information: First Jewish presence: 15th century; peak Jewish population: 122 in 1858; Jewish population in 1933: 82
Summary: The Jewish community of Talheim, which had been affiliated with the community in Sontheim in 1832, became an independent community in 1849. Talheim Jews established a prayer hall in a local castle in 1778. After receiving permission from the local dukes, the community built a mikveh and a larger prayer hall in the castle in 1792 and 1793, respectively. Later, in 1836, the prayer hall was enlarged to accommodate a synagogue, a mikveh and a school. Opened in 1857, the Jewish schoolhouse was presided over by a teacher who served as a chazzan and shochet. Burials were conducted in Sontheim. Ten Jewish schoolchildren studied religion in Talheim in 1933. A chevra kadisha, a women’s association and a Zionist association were active in the community that year. Pogrom Night passed quietly in Talheim. It was on the following night, in fact, that the synagogue was destroyed. Homes were vandalized, Jews were assaulted and the men were arrested. In 1939, Jews were forcibly moved into designated “Jews’ houses” from which they were taken for forced labor in 1940/41. Thirty-eight local Jews emigrated, six died in Talheim and 38 were deported to the East in 1941/42. At least 39 Talheim Jews perished in the Shoah. The dilapidated synagogue was demolished in 1952. A plaque was unveiled at the site in 1983.
Photo: The synagogue of Talheim. Courtesy of: The Wiener Archive.
Author / Sources: Heike Zaun Goshen
Sources: AH, AJ, EJL, PK BW
Located in: baden-wuerttemberg