Weiden in der Oberpfalz

General information: First Jewish presence: 1359; peak Jewish population: 168 in 1932; Jewish population in 1932: 14
Summary: The Jewish community of Weiden in der Oberpfalz, founded in 1895, attended services in nearby Floss until 1889, when a synagogue was inaugurated in Weiden itself at 17 Ringstrasse (the synagogue was renovated in 1905). The Jews of Weiden established a cemetery in 1901 and an elementary school— presided over by a teacher who also served the community as chazzan and shochet—in 1889. In 1932, several Jewish associations and branches of nation-wide Jewish organizations were active in Weiden. On Pogrom Night, the synagogue’s interior and ritual objects were destroyed. Jewish homes were damaged; however, Weiden’s mayor forbade the burning of the synagogue and the looting of Jewish homes. Between 30 and 40 Jews were brutally beaten in the town hall, after which many were deported to Dachau, where two died. The synagogue was sold after the pogrom, and the Jewish elementary school was closed in 1939. Eighty-seven Weiden Jews emigrated, 55 relocated within Germany and nine died in Weiden. Those who still lived there in October 1939, were moved into one house, from which 12 were deported to Piaski and to Theresienstadt in 1942. At least 24 Weiden Jews perished in the Shoah. Jewish survivors reestablished a community in Weiden in August 1945, but most emigrated after 1948. That year, the former synagogue was returned to the Jews who had remained in the town, after which the building was renovated to include a community center, a schoolroom and a mikveh. In 1953, a new Jewish community was officially established in Weiden.
Author / Sources: Esther Sarah Evans
Sources: AJ, EJL, PK BAV
Located in: bavaria