General information: First Jewish presence: 1672; peak Jewish population: 129 in 1863; Jewish population in 1933: 40
Summary: During the late 18th century, the Jewish community of Feudenheim conducted services in a prayer hall located in a private residence. A synagogue was built in the town in 1819 (renovated in 1840/41), shortly after which a school was opened there. The Jews of Feudenheim consecrated a cemetery at Scheffelstrasse in 1858; and in 1900 a new cemetery was consecrated at Talstrasse. Community membership dwindled to such an extent at the beginning of the 20th century that it soon became difficult to gather 10 men for a minyan. Accordingly, services were held only on High Holidays. The Feudenheim community, which had been subordinated to the Mannheim community in 1884, became an affiliate of Mannheim in 1910. On Pogrom Night, SA men tore off the synagogue’s roof tiles and set the building on fire, after which they dragged Jewish men from their homes and forced them to throw prayer books into the fire. The son of a mixed Jewish and Christian couple was beaten and arrested. On October 22, 1940, 14 Jews, Feudenheim’s last, were deported to Gurs, France. At least 12 Feudenheim Jews perished in the Shoah. In 1965, the town unveiled a plaque in memory of the Jewish community.
Author / Sources: Maren Cohen
Sources: AJ, EJL, PK-BW
Located in: baden-wuerttemberg