General information: First Jewish presence: 1434; peak Jewish population: 532 in 1864 (39% of the total population); Jewish population in 1933: 34
Summary: The Jews of Hainsfarth conducted services in prayer halls until 1710, when they inaugurated a proper synagogue (renovated in 1810). The community established an elementary school in 1821 (it closed in 1924), a cemetery in 1850, a mikveh and, in 1860, a new synagogue with 108 seats for men and 102 for women. In 1933, a chevra kadisha, a women’s association and an association for Jews who observed the Sabbath were active in Hainsfarth. On Pogrom Night, the synagogue building was damaged and its interior and ritual objects destroyed. The cemetery was also descrated that night. Between 1938 and 1941, four Hainsfarth Jews immigrated to the United States and 15 relocated within Germany. In 1942, the village’s eight remaining Jews were forced to move into one building, from which six were deported to Piaski (via Munich) and two to Theresienstadt in 1942 (in April and August, respectively). At least 55 Hainsfarth Jews perished in the Shoah. The cemetery was sold to the municipality in 1943 and returned to the Jewish community after the war, as was the school. The school was sold in 1952 and converted into a residential building; and in 1996, the restored synagogue reopened as a cultural center. The cemetery was also restored, and a memorial plaque has been unveiled in Hainsfarth.
Author / Sources: Heike Zaun Goshen
Sources: AH. AJ, EJL, UU
Located in: bavaria