General information: First Jewish presence: 1504; peak Jewish population: 652 in 1840; Jewish population in 1933: 65
Summary: The Jews of Huerben employed their own rabbi from the 16th century onwards. The community established a cemetery in 1628, a synagogue in 1675, an elementary school in 1790, a new synagogue in 1819 and a mikveh in or around 1830. In 1902, in response to the fact that many Huerben Jews had moved to nearby Krumbach during the 1880s, the community was annexed to Krumbach. The Huerben rabbinate was eventually dissolved, after which the school limited its curriculum to religious instruction. In 1933, the community ran six Jewish associations, most of which were involved in charity work. In October 1937, the cemetery was desecrated (as it was on several occasions after the war). The synagogue’s interior was destroyed on Pogrom Night. Jews were forced to load the Torah scrolls and ritual objects onto trucks, after which the items were destroyed. (Only one scroll survived.) In September 1939, the synagogue was converted into an army warehouse. Damaged by fire in November 1939, the building was demolished in 1940. Twenty-seven Huerben Jews emigrated and 18 relocated within Germany. In April 1942, 15 were deported to Piaski (via Munich). Huerben’s last Jew was deported to Theresienstadt in August 1942. At least 37 local Jews perished in the Shoah. A memorial stone has been unveiled at the former synagogue site.
Photo: The synagogue of Huerben in 1927. Courtesy of: The Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People, the Harburger Collection, P160/267.
Author / Sources: Esther Sarah Evans
Sources: AJ, EJL, PK BAV
Located in: bavaria