General information: First Jewish presence: 17th century; peak Jewish population: 77 in 1871; Jewish population in 1933: 76
Summary: By 1871, when slightly over 2% of the Langen’s total population was Jewish, most local Jews were cattle traders, butchers, merchants or manufacturers; Langen was also home to a large Jewish-owned soap factory and Jewish academics. Jews conducted services in a prayer room until 1852, when the community purchased a building (enlarged in 1880) for use as a synagogue. Later, in 1902, a new synagogue was erected on Dieburger Strasse, offering 80 seats for men and 36 for women (renovated in 1927). In 1876, prior to which burials were conducted in Gross Gerau, the community consecrated a cemetery on the corner of Suedliche Ringstrasse and Friedhofstrasse. We also know that the Jews of Langen maintained a charitable association, a mikveh and a school whose teacher served as chazzan and shochet. In 1933, 76 Jews still lived in Langen, most of whom left during the following years. The synagogue was attacked in 1935, the congregants locked inside. On Pogrom Night, rioters demolished Jewish homes and property. Jews were arrested, imprisoned in the town hall and cruelly beaten. Langen’s synagogue was desecrated and destroyed by the SA. At least 41 Langen Jews perished in the Shoah. Memorials were unveiled at the synagogue site, the cemetery and at the town hall in 1946, 1966 and 1990, respectively.
Photo: The synagogue of Langen, probably in the 1920s. Courtesy of: the Simeonstift of Trier City Museum.
Author / Sources: Heike Zaun Goshen
Sources: AH, AJ, EJL
Located in: hesse