General information: First Jewish presence: 18th century; peak Jewish population: 70 in 1870; Jewish population in 1933: 35
Summary: By 1870, most local Jews earned their living as cattle traders and shopkeepers. The Jews of Langendernbach and nearby Frickhofen formed a joint Jewish community in 1913. Community members attended synagogue services in nearby Ellar until 1826 or 1833, when a prayer room was established in Langendernbach; the local authorities, however, often forbade Jews from congregating there. Finally, in 1857, the community managed to purchase a building on Ackerhohl that was then converted into a synagogue, and officially opened in 1868. We also know that the community maintained a mikveh (built in 1913 or 1916) and a school whose teacher served, at times, as shochet and chazzan. Burials were conducted in Ellar until 1926, when the community consecrated a cemetery halfway between Frickhofen and Langendernbach. In 1933, 35 Jews still lived in Langendernbach, many of whom moved to other towns or emigrated from the country during the years that followed. On Pogrom Night, SA men attacked local Jews, Jewishowned properties and the synagogue. Ritual objects from the synagogue were set on fire, but the building was left intact. Later, in 1942, the remaining 10 Jews were deported to concentration camps. At least 26 Langendernbach Jews perished in the Shoah. The synagogue, which had been remodeled into a residential building, was pulled down in 1951. The cemetery was restored in 1971, and a memorial commemorates the destroyed community.
Author / Sources: Heike Zaun Goshen
Sources: AH, AJ, EJL
Located in: hesse