General information: First Jewish presence: 1780; peak Jewish population: approximately 50 in 1865; Jewish population in 1933: unknown
Summary: The Jews of Langstadt initially belonged to the Jewish community of Babenhausen. In the 19th century, they temporarily formed an independent community with the Jews of Kleestadt and Schlierbach; membership soon declined, however, and the Langstadt Jews were once again affiliated with Babenhausen. Always small, the community peaked at approximately 50 members in 1865. Local Jews maintained a synagogue, first documented in 1780, at 1-2 Friedhofstrasse; in 1820, the synagogue was moved to the front of the building. Burials were conducted in Babenhausen, but the Jews of Langstadt maintained their own mikveh and, apparently, a classroom. During the 19th century, a teacher instructed Jewish schoolchildren in religion. In 1936, 11 Jews still lived in Langstadt; as late as 1937, a Jew was married in the town. On Pogrom Night, SA troops vandalized the interior of the synagogue and destroyed the ritual items. The building was expropriated in October 1939. Six Jews managed to immigrate to the United States after 1936, and six others were apparently deported. At least 17 Langstadt Jews and seven from Kleestadt perished in the Shoah. The synagogue was demolished in 1964. A residence, to which a small memorial plaque has been affixed, was later built on the site.
Author / Sources: Heidemarie Wawrzyn
Located in: hesse