Malsch, near Karlsruhe

General information: First Jewish presence: 17th century; peak Jewish population: 320 in 1875; Jewish population in 1933: 89
Summary: The Jews of Malsch were mainly traders of cattle, leather and textiles. Prayer services were conducted in a private residence until the beginning of the 19th century, when the community built a synagogue and school on Hauptstrasse. A school was opened in 1873, but was closed, together with all confessional schools in Baden, in 1876. Local Jews conducted burials in Kuppenheim. In 1933, a chevra kadisha, a women’s association, a charity association and a youth group were active in Malsch. Jewish-owned homes and businesses were severely damaged on Pogrom Night. A Jewish woman was assaulted, and the SA, cheered on by schoolchildren, burned down the synagogue. According to records, 10 Jewish men were sent to Dachau that night. Fifty-seven local Jews emigrated from Germany. Five Malsch Jews who had boarded the St. Louis ship were let off in Belgium after months at sea, and were then sent to their deaths in Auschwitz. Seven local Jews relocated within Germany; six died in Malsch; a family of three was deported to Poland in July 1939; and 21 were deported to Gurs on October 22, 1940. At least 63 Malsch Jews perished during the Shoah. The synagogue’s ruins were removed in 1939. A plaque (1985) and a memorial stone (1988) commemorate the Jews of Malsch.
Author / Sources: Heike Zaun Goshen
Sources: AH, AJ, EJL, PK-BW
Located in: baden-wuerttemberg