General information: First Jewish presence: 17th century; peak Jewish population: 89 in 1854; Jewish population in 1933: approximately 45
Summary: By 1763, the Jewish community of Niederzissen had established a prayer hall, a school (both were located in private residences) and a cemetery. Later, in 1841, a synagogue was inaugurated on Schmidsberg (later renamed Mittelstrasse). Niederzissen’s Jewish elementary school, which also housed a mikveh, opened in 1857, but was closed just one year later. We also know that, in 1904, the community hired a teacher of religious studies. Six schoolchildren received religious instruction in 1933, and a Jewish youth association was active in the community, with which the Jews of Oberzissen and Burgbrohl were affiliated. On Pogrom Night, the interior of the Niederzissen synagogue wasdestroyed;Torahscrollsandprayerbookswererippedinto shreds and thrown onto the street. That night, the remaining Jews collected the ruined books and buried them in the cemetery. In October and November of 1939, Jewish-owned houses were damaged. A local blacksmith bought the synagogue that year, after which he converted the building into a workshop. In July 1942, 26 Jews from Bad Neuenahr were brought to Niederzissen and used as forced laborers. Later that month, all Jews living in the area were deported to the East. At least 74 Niederzissen Jews perished in the Shoah. The Jewish cemetery was desecrated during the Nazi period and in 1952. A monument has been unveiled there.
Author / Sources: Nurit Borut
Sources: AJ, BJGGRP, DZG