General information: First Jewish presence: 1808; peak Jewish population: 182 in 1885; Jewish population in 1933: 133
Summary: Shortly after Jews came to Beuel in 1808, they established a synagogue on whose site all subsequent synagogues were built. The synagogue was renovated in 1824 and in 1847. In 1895, the community initiated a campaign to enlarge and modernize the synagogue. While the building was being torn down and rebuilt, the congregation conducted services at another location. The new synagogue was inaugurated in 1903; a large and beautiful structure, it featured huge stained glass windows and a dome that was visible from afar. On Pogrom Night, SS and SA troops (with the fire department standing by to protect neighboring homes) stormed and ransacked the synagogue. Before setting the building on fire, they doused the interior with kerosene. One home did catch fire, and the Jewish community was forced to pay for the damage. The building was demolished immediately after Pogrom Night. A memorial was later unveiled at the site, which is now a parking lot.
Author / Sources: Moshe Finkel
Sources: LJG, SG-NRW, SIA