General information: First Jewish presence: 16th century; peak Jewish population: 150 in 1905; Jewish population in 1933: 120-160
Summary: Jews were expelled from Suhl during the second half of the 16th century. Another Jewish presence was established there in 1848 and, in 1856, together with the Jews of nearby Heinrichs, the Suhl Jews founded an official community. The community’s registered office was moved from Heinrichs to Suhl in 1871, and religious services were conducted at 7 Muehlplatz. In 1905/06, the community built a synagogue at 13 Hohenlohestrasse (present-day Strasse der Opfer des Faschismus, or “street of the victims of Fascism”). Other communal institutions included a Jewish school and a cemetery, the latter of which was consecrated at Hoheloh and used for burials during the years 1903 to 1941. Several local stores and firms (for example the Simson Works) were owned by Jews. In 1933, Suhl was home between 120 and 160 Jews. A teacher—he also served as chazzan—instructed 12 schoolchildren in religion. A women’s charity association operated a sewing room, and a relief fund supported transient Jews. On Pogrom Night, SA men set the synagogue on fire; a local Jewish man was arrested and abused by the Gestapo. Many Jews left Suhl soon after the pogrom. Later, in 1942, the remaining Jews were deported to Poland and Theresienstadt. At least 49 Suhl Jews perished in the Shoah. A memorial stone was unveiled in the town in 1985.
Photo: The interior of the synagogue of Suhl. Courtesy of: Town Archive of Suhl.
Photo 2: The synagogue of Suhl, after it was burned, on the morning of November 10, 1938. Courtesy of: Town Archive of Suhl.
Author / Sources: Heidemarie Wawrzyn
Sources: AJ, DJKT, EJL, FJG,
Located in: thuringia