Eimelrod (present-day Willingen)

General information: First Jewish presence: 18th century; peak Jewish population: 34 in 1830; Jewish population in 1932: 14
Summary: The history of Jewish Eimelrod dates back to the 18th century. In or around 1780, the Jewish community inaugurated a synagogue, never wired for electricity, with 24 seats for men and 16 for women. Although local Jews were able to maintain a mikveh, a schoolroom and a cemetery, the last of which was located on Violinenstrasse, they never employed a chazzan; accordingly, male members of the community shared the duties normally performed by a chazzan. Jewish children studied religion with a teacher who commuted to Eimelrod. In 1932, Julius Schild headed the community, which belonged to the Marburg rabbinate. By then, only 14 Jews lived in Eimelrod. The synagogue was destroyed on Pogrom Night, after which, in 1939, its burnt ruins were demolished. Two Jews lived in Eimelrod in 1939; they were deported to the East, via the camp in Wrexen, on an unspecified date. At least 16 Eimelrod Jews perished in the Shoah.
Author / Sources: Esther Sarah Evans
Sources: AH, AJ, EJL
Located in: hesse