Frankfurt am Main - 5-6 Friedberger Anlage, Synagogue of the IRG

Summary: Led by Rabbi Hirsch, the Orthodox Israelitische Religionsgesellschaft (Israelite Religious Association, or IRG) seceded from Frankfurt’s mainstream Jewish congregation in 1851 (Hirsch’s followers were unwilling to compromise on ritual traditions but did support the study of science). The IRG established its first synagogue (on Schuetzenstrasse) and a junior high school in 1852 and 1853, respectively. Until 1876, when the IRG gained full independence, every Jew in the city was legally obliged to remain a member of the mainstream congregation. A new synagogue, with a design that adhered to Orthodox guidelines and was outlined in a large-scale tender, was built in 1907. The elegant interior, with its moderate use of symbolism, typified the impressive, but subdued, architecture. With 1,000 seats for men in the main sanctuary and 600 seats for women in the closed gallery, it was the largest synagogue in the city. The building had separate entrances for men and women, and the pulpit was placed in the center. In order to minimize distractions, windows were placed above eye level. The Rothschild family financially supported the synagogue. The synagogue’s safe was robbed on Pogrom Night (November 1938). It took four attempts to burn down the building. An air raid bunker was built on the site after the pogrom, in front of which a memorial was unveiled in 1988.
Photo: The synagogue on the Friedberger Anlage in Frankfurt am Main. Courtesy of: Unknown
Author / Sources: Ruth Martina Trucks
Sources: EJL, LJG
Located in: hesse