General information: First Jewish presence: mid-16th century; peak Jewish population: 254 in 1833: Jewish population in 1933: 73
Summary: The Jews of Burghaslach established a prayer room in 1687, a synagogue in 1729, another synagogue in 1765 and a cemetery in 1775. Yet another house of worship was inaugurated in 1870, on Neustaedter Strasse. We also know that the synagogue housed a classroom for the elementary school (operated 1859-1924), that the building was renovated in 1929, and that the mikveh, which opened in 1891, was restored in 1932. In 1933, the 73 Jews of Burghaslach ran numerous associations, including a Talmud Torah association, a women’s organization, a chevra kadisha, a charitable society and branches of several German-Jewish organizations. That year, a teacher of religion instructed 15 schoolchildren. The cemetery was desecrated in 1936 and in 1937. On Pogrom Night, the synagogue’s interior, furniture and ritual objects were destroyed; the building was partially burned. All local Jews, including children, were detained in a local inn (for two days) while their homes and businesses were destroyed. Afterwards, three Jewish men spent several days in the regional prison in Scheinfeld, The town’s few remaining Jews left in February 1940. In total, 20 Burghaslach Jews emigrated and 45 relocated in Germany. At least 52 Burghaslach Jews perished in the Shoah. The synagogue was later converted into an apartment building.
Author / Sources: Heike Zaun Goshen
Sources: AJ, EJL, PK-BAV, SG-B
Located in: bavaria